I used ground beef for this particular haystack, but ground venison, or any ground meat or meat substitute for that matter, would work wonderfully. Use different coloured tomatoes and peppers to make this dish more vibrant and colourful, and feel free to customize in any way you like; try adding radishes, shredded cheese, or replacing the Hickory Sticks with corn chips or Fritos.
- Prep Time15 min
- Cook Time30 min
- Total Time45 min
- Ready in30 min
- Yield4 servings
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 tablespoon (15mL) neutral oil
- 1 medium brown onion, chopped
- 1 lb (0.5kg) ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons (10mL) chili powder or paprika
- Kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1/4 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 handful fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 head iceberg lettuce, finely shredded/sliced
- 1 individual-size bag Hickory Sticks
- Ranch dressing, homemade or store bought
Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
- 4 tablespoons (60mL) of buttermilk, or milk with 1 teaspoon (5mL) of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons (30mL) Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons (30mL) mayonnaise
- 1 small clove of garlic, crushed into a paste
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.5mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon (5mL) white or white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon (5mL) Louisiana style hot sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon (8mL) finely chopped fresh parsley, flat or curly
- 1/2 tablespoon (8mL) finely chopped fresh dill, or 1/2 teaspoon (2.5mL) dried
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5mL) freshly cracked black pepper
For the Dressing
Mix all of the ingredients together very well in a medium bowl.
If you’d prefer it thicker, add more Greek yogurt. If you’d prefer it thinner, add more buttermilk.
For the Haystacks
Cook the rice as per the package instructions.
Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat and add the onion.
Cook for 2 minutes, then add the ground beef, garlic, Worcestershire, chili powder, salt, and pepper.
Cook for about 15 minutes, or until the meat is cooked through and beginning to brown.
Meanwhile, chop all of the vegetables.
Shred or slice the lettuce into long threads.
Once everything is done cooking, either:
Put the ingredients in separate bowls and bring to the table for diners to build their own haystacks.
Build the haystacks by evenly portioning out ingredients onto plates in this order – rice, meat, 1/2 veggies, lettuce, other 1/2 veggies, Hickory Sticks, ranch dressing.