Cream of Chicken of the Woods Soup
This cream of chicken of the woods soup is a tasty, chowder-like soup made from wild chicken of the woods (Laetiporus sulphureus) mushrooms!
Always be sure to use only fresh and moist mushrooms. Some people have adverse reactions, including mild stomach pain, after eating chicken of the woods, though that is quite rare. Always eat a small amount first before eating an entire dish made with it.
- Prep Time20 min
- Cook Time25 min
- Total Time45 min
- Yield4 servings
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) butter, bacon fat, or oil
- 8oz (225g) fresh chicken of the woods mushrooms, cleaned, trimmed, and cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or 4 garlic scapes, chopped
- 1/4 cup (60ml) white wine
- 3 cups (750ml) vegetable, mushroom, or chicken stock
- 1 bunch kale, de-stemmed and chopped
- 1 green or yellow zucchini, cut into half or quarter moons
- 1/2 teaspoon (3g) kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (1g) black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon (1g) dried thyme leaves or 4 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves only
- 1/2 cup (125ml) heavy or whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon (10g) cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) water
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
In a large pot, melt the butter, fat, or oil over medium high heat.
Add the mushrooms, celery, and onions and sauté for 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
Add the wine to the pot and scrape anything that may have stuck to the bottom. Cook until the wine mostly dissipates.
Add the stock and the kale and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the zucchini, salt, pepper, and thyme, and simmer for another 5 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium.
Add the cream.
Make a slurry by mixing the cornstarch with the water. Add it to the pot and stir it in.
Add the chopped parsley and cook until the liquid thickens into a chowder-like consistency.
Taste and adjust salt and pepper if necessary.
To serve, ladle into bowls and sprinkle some chopped parsley on top. Goes great with buttered toast. Enjoy!